Manages the Mill and its employees to optimize efficiency, and profitability, through successfully directing and coordinating activities of employees who are engaged in the daily Mill operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Project capital expenditures for milling facility and prepares and maintains annual mill budget.
- Ensure the performance of quality control procedures on all incoming feed ingredients.
- Maintain adequate inventory of commodities.
- Manage, lead, and develop all Mill employees.
- Interviews and train new employees through training, then plans, assigns, directs work.
- Work closely with consultants to optimize cattle performance.
- Ensure compliance with all FDA regulations regarding medicated feed and micro ingredients.
- Develop and maintain emergency back-up procedures for occurrences of mill outages, e.i., equipment breakdowns, power outages.
- Directs supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Performs quality control procedures for feed mixing, distribution and maximum consumptions.
- Works closely with consultants to optimize cattle performance and health.
- Communicates milling issues to appropriate personnel.
- Project capital expenditures for Mill department and prepares and maintains the annual Mill department budget.
- Manages expenses by studying historical data, anticipating needs, researching costs, designing inventory systems, determining inventory levels and approving orders.
- Maintains all necessary and pertinent production records.
- Prepare and follow the preventative maintenance schedule for the Milling department.
- Prepares and coordinates feeding and milling schedules with the Mill Manager.
- Evaluates personnel for job performance and bonus, as well as rewarding and disciplining employees and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure monthly housekeeping inspections.
- Ensure compliance with all ISO/HACCP and OSHA/Safety procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Display consistent skills, behaviors, and attitudes congruent with the values and strategies of Green Plains Cattle Company; model high performing level of motivation, performance and personal integrity that others strive to emulate; match actions and words.
- Understand the organization, strategic objectives, structure; work effectively within the organization to achieve results; work continuously to make linkages and build networks within the organization.
- Know customers in the market territory; keep up to date on key competitors; understand and respond to the needs and expectations of relevant customer segments; establish effective working relationships with customers to gain respect and loyalty; identify opportunities presented by changes and shifts in the marketplace.
- Match resources, processes, and management style to the demands of the situation; preserve and develop productive capacity while accomplishing immediate and long-term objectives, concentrating on core business.
- Monitor daily implementation of activities, projects, policies and procedures; notice errors and gaps; keep detailed and accurate records; process paperwork promptly and follow up on important details.
- Understand the financial implications of various actions; make effective use of various sources of financial information (e.g., operating reports, spreadsheets, etc.) establish and meet realistic budget goals based on sound cost analysis; take continuous action to control costs while maintaining high quality performance.
- Meet or exceed technical/functional expectations.
- Provide consistent, clear work direction relative to current priorities; delegate and assign work based on employee skill, experience and development needs; monitor work progress against goals; manage conflicting requirements; remove obstacles; instill a sense of urgency relative to task.
- Communicate in an open, straight forward, honest and respectful style; check for message clarity; understand the effect the communication style has on others, including nonverbal communications; plan for and adapt to the wide variety of communication preferences and needs of others.
- Develop an understanding of and assesses group dynamics; take action to enhance the productivity and collaboration among subordinates and peers; create an environment that encourages and reinforces teamwork.
- Assume responsibility for necessary actions or problems resolution; appropriately initiate behavior on projects or initiatives without requiring explicit management direction or guidance; know when management involvement is required and seek it out.
- Keep personal feelings in check; remain impartial; gather relevant data before taking action.
- Deal with others in an honest, ethical and fair manner; act in ways that are consistent with beliefs: openly address conflicts when they arise; provide clear and appropriate reasons for decisions.
Minimum Experience and Education:
- College Degree with 5+ years of successful experience in a grain milling environment.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory or management experience.
- A good understanding of OSHA/HACCP guidelines is needed as well as an understanding of a cattle accounting system.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are required.
- Valid driver license.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to perform basic math functions and calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, etc.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, accounting software, email, and Outlook).
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) skills are a plus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles and is frequently working near moving mechanical parts, and toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places, outdoor weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk, climb and balance. Employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and to talk to hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.